December 28, 2012
Tired of turkey?
– For 87% of people in the UK, Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without a traditional roast turkey.
– There are many more turkey cuts and joints than people are aware of – mince, turkey chunks, breast steak, escalopes, drumsticks, sausages, stir fry strips, burgers, bacon rashers and crown roasts…to name but a few.
– Turkeys have been around for 10 million years – there are fossils to prove it
– Henry VIII was the first English king to enjoy turkey, although Edward VII made eating turkey fashionable at Christmas
– Turkey was considered a luxury right up until the 1950’s, when it became more accessible and affordable for everyone
– The Guinness Book of Records state’s that the greatest dressed weight recorded for a turkey is 39.09kg (86lbs), at the last annual “heaviest turkey” competition held in London, on December 12, 1989.
…Sufficiently sick of turkey yet? We feel your pain.
Give your belt, and budget, a break and join us for some healthier options that won’t make you fall off the eating-well-wagon. A guilt-free treat for you and your mates.
Our Skinny Rustica uses healthier ingredients, like a wholemeal base, to cut the calories without drastically cutting the portions…after all, who wants a pizza with a giant hole in the middle for almost the same price as a pizza without?
To peruse our menu, click here. Whatever your taste buds fancy we have it. Unless it’s turkey…then you’re on your own.
Turkey facts brought to you by our friends at http://www.britishturkey.co.uk/turkey-bytes/turkey-history.shtml