January 18, 2012
31 Reasons To Love January – #18
18. A TOMATO A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY
Italian cooking and tomatoes go hand in hand which is why we love Pomo d’Oro or apple of gold (in Italian) at Zizzi’s. Not only are they delicious and versatile, they have endless health benefits too.
Here is just a hint of the amazing benefits tomatoes offer;
- They are a natural antioxidant that can help prevent a number of diseases, including heart disease and some cancers.
- Men can reduce their risk for developing prostate cancer by up to 43% if they eat tomatoes on a regular basis.
- If you cook tomatoes in oil you can help to increase your body’s natural absorption of the nutrients in tomatoes- so don’t be shy when adding your olive oil.
- Tomatoes are an excellent source of potassium, calcium, and vitamin A and C. All of these are important nutrients needed for optimal health.
- Studies have shown that when you eat tomato products, you have 33% more protection from sunburn, but that doesn’t mean you should forget the sunscreen.
The Body Shop founder Dame Anita Roddick who was Italian once said “Tomatoes make you happy,” have you ever met a miserable Italian?”
So eat like an Italian and include a Tomato a day in your diet to keep the doctor away!